Eastside High School is a public school in east Gainesville, Florida, United States. It was opened in 1970 and is managed by the Alachua County School District. Eastside harbors two magnet programs: the Institute of Culinary Arts and an International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
University of Florida - Homecoming 2017 - EastSide High School - Gators University of Florida #UFParade #UF #ufhomecoming @UF Homecoming Parade!! #GoGators #2017 Homecoming 2017 #Gainesville #Florida.
The school has been served by the following principals: John Dukes, Mae Islar, Ron Nelson, Robert Schenck, Bill Herschleb, Sandra Hollinger, Michael Thorne, Jeff Charbonnet, and Shane Andrew.
Eastside was ranked by Newsweek as the 4th best high school in the United States in 2005 and 6th in 2006, making it the top-rated public high school in the country two years in a row. More recently, in 2010 the school was ranked 17th overall, and again in High School Challenge 2011.
Eastside has hosted an International Baccalaureate program, which focuses on the classical liberal arts and sciences, since 1987.
Dependent child residents of the University of Florida family housing property Tanglewood Village are within the attendance boundary of Eastside High.
Awards and competitions
- In 2006 the boys' basketball team won the 5A State Championship, the first state championship in Eastside basketball history.
- In 2007, the Eastside team at the Florida State Spanish Conference won the state championship.
- Eastside placed first in le CongrÃ¨s de la Culture Francaise en Floride (French language competition) thirty times from 1991-2011.
- In 2013-2014, Eastside's Florida Student Astronaut Challenge team placed first in Florida at the state competition in Cape Canaveral.
- Gator Hoskins - NFL player
- Allison Wagner - swimmer
- Eastside High School homepage
- Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) School Level Report for Eastside High School
- Eastside High School Directory listing by the International Baccalaureate Organization